Thursday 9 May 2013

Treasure Hunting

 On Sunday we ended up with a few hours free unexpectedly, we decided to go to Swithland Woods for a walk. Halfway there I decided I would look to see if there was any geocaches there. During the journey not only did I find the geocache information I also downloaded a GPS app.

Beth wanted to take her zebra for a ride in her pushchair I didn't really think it was a good idea, but we let her bring it anyway and she did mange to get quite far before she got fed up of the roots and bumps making her hands "feel fuzzy".

The woods are often used for den building by the scouts and along the way we found several and Beth tried them out for size and comfort
             


When we first arrived there were several signs for the bluebell service so we had a look for some. I think the cold winter and late spring meant that there weren't actually any about but Beth did find some blue flowers (forget-me-knots)











Beth started a gymnastic class around her birthday, and she's loving it! She loves showing off her "shapes" and a tree stump gave her a good excuse to practice her landing shape. 









Beth and Daddy found some really big sticks and proceeded to have a sword fight (they've been practicing with light sabers). Beth even let Daniel hold her stick; he was a lot more grateful than he looks in the picture. I tried to have a go at fighting with sticks but I broke the stick. 












Beth found a Fairy tree 


We'd been pretty rubbish at finding the geocaches, I'd found one location using my GPS app, but I think the cache must have been removed, because there was no sign of it. The drain on my battery was pretty heavy and we decided to to give it up as a bad job and just take a walk to the old quarry and back. On the way Dave spotted something nestled in the tree trunk and it turned out to be one of the caches. Beth and Daniel we're very excited. This cache had a take something leave something policy and Beth picked up a walking Brussel sprout (after a lot of persuasion to leave the manky sweet or the dog biscuit and we left a packet of vinegar.  I also left the address of this blog in the log book so if you've found us through that please speak up. 



 



2 comments:

  1. I found this link via facebook and have enjoyed reading it so far, it does well to write a blog about caching as well as doing the actual fun sport, and it is great to read it when you can find out children are enjoying themselves on walks you may never have done if it weren't for geocaching.

    The one bit that I picked up on near the end was the "walking sprout" did it look like either of these photographed on this TB page? http://coord.info/TB4919G

    if so (and if specially the one on the right which is betty sprout) can you do me a favour and contact the owner of the tb, it may not have had a tracking bug atached to it when you found the walking sprout but if it does look like either of the sprouts on the photo (im thinking betty) it would be great if you could contact the owner and let them know you have found her, she went missing late last year and I am sure if it is her she would be glad you have found her.

    http://1tuffcookie.wordpress.com

    Regards, Tuff Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it was Betty the leaves are a bit more pronounced (this makes me think that there at least 2 moulds in the world that make wind up Brussel sprouts who knew?), I will see if i can get a picture up at some point.

    ReplyDelete